Saturday, December 12, 2009

EDDIE AIKAU WAIMEA




GREG LONG :

"I’m so happy just to be here, invited into the biggest event of big waves in the world with all my heroes, I’m so excited.
It’s a dream come true for me. Riding big waves is my passion and I’ve been following The Eddie since I knew exactly what it was, I was probably 12-years-old just getting into surfing. Since then, I’ve had every single poster from Brock Little to Bruce Irons on my wall. I look to those guys for inspiration and to be standing up here with Sunny (Garcia) and Kelly Slater is a dream come true for me. I never would have thought that this is my first year surfing the event and to come away with a victory is really a childhood dream become real.

I’m still standing here in awe and I want to go check the scores to make sure someone isn’t going to come here and take this away.

It really is about the wave and celebrating the ocean. It’s what we do: go out there and ride big waves. The respect and camaraderie in the lineup you don’t find in too many places in the world, and this event really encapsulates everything that’s great about surfing: the friendships you make in the water and looking out for one another."


No comments:

Post a Comment