Monday, December 7, 2009

PIPELINE WORLD TITLE !!



MICK FANNING :

“It’s been a few years since the ASP Title has come down to Pipe and I’m really stoked that it’s between myself and Joel. I guess it’s like a dream come true coming down to Pipeline and I’m really excited. There isn’t going to be any sand on the reef and hopefully we get a couple of really good days.

I’ve built up momentum throughout the back half of the year starting at Trestles, and I’m in the lead. I guess all of the pressure is on Joel now because he needs to get a third. I’m just concentrating on myself and am going to try and make as many heats as possible and make it as hard as possible for him.
I guess surfing Pipeline is like meeting a really big guy in a dark alley and sometimes you escape and sometimes you can’t. It’s intimidating.

Everyone’s on the beach watching and you’ve got to go.”

++++++++++++++++++++++
JOEL PARKINSON :

“It’s definitely exciting to see the ASP title come down to Pipe. Mick was in form all throughout Sunset and I feel like I’m in form as well and it’s going to be a great match-up.

Pipeline is one of the most awesome waves ever. It’s close to the beach. It’s a natural amphitheatre and it’s only 50 yards out and you’re surfing a wave that could kill you, so it’s pretty exciting.
I’m excited to defend my Vans Triple Crown title. After losing Haleiwa in the Quarterfinals, I thought I’d have to win Sunset and my focus wasn’t 100 percent on the Triple Crown anymore, it was more on Pipe, but now that I’ve won Sunset I’d love to win the Vans Triple Crown again.”

+++++

The scenarios for the 2009 ASP World Title heading into the Billabong Pipeline Masters are as follows:

- Fanning finishes 33rd through a 9th at Pipeline, Parkinson needs a 3rd or better to overtake.

- Fanning finishes 5th at Pipeline, Parkinson needs a 2nd or better to overtake.

- Fanning finishes 3rd at Pipeline, Parkinson needs win the event to overtake.

- If Fanning finishes 2nd or better at Pipeline, he will clinch the 2009 ASP World Title.

No comments:

Post a Comment